Performing to the best of our ability, as a certified translator and as active member of the American Translators Association, we accept and follow a set of principles outlined as our ethical and professional duty.
Among them, our aim is:
- 1. to convey meaning between people and cultures faithfully, accurately, and impartially;
- 2. to hold in confidence any privileged and/or confidential information entrusted to us in the course of our work;
- 3. to represent our qualifications, capabilities, and responsibilities honestly and to work always within them;
- 4. to enhance those capabilities at every opportunity through continuing education in language, subject field, and professional practice;
- 5. to act collegially by sharing knowledge and experience;
- 6. to define in advance by mutual agreement, and to abide by, the terms of all business transactions among ourselves and with others;
- 7. to ask for and offer due recognition of our work, and compensation commensurate with our abilities; and to endeavor in good faith to resolve among ourselves any dispute that arises from our
professional interactions, mindful that failure to abide by these principles may harm ourselves, our fellow members, the Association, or those we serve.